Earthquake Rebuilding Nepal
Specialty Placement | Volunteer Center shared rooms
Every Monday year round (Arrival Saturday or Sunday)
The earthquake of 2015 had a devastating impact on both life and property in Nepal. The scale of destruction was unimaginable. Basic necessities such as drinking water, food, clothing & medicine have since been restored, however the re-building efforts will take years to complete.
As a volunteer in the Nepal earthquake rebuilding efforts, you’ll focus on the rebuilding of schools, orphanages and health centers in/around Kathmandu and in remote villages approx 2.5 hours from Kathamandu. Many schools in Nepal do not even have basic physical infrastructure like toilets, proper classrooms, playgrounds, libraries, or even drinking water. Assistance is desperately needed to carry out renovation work and provide support to these areas where so much devastation has occurred.
Example day to day (breakfast lunch, dinner included daily)
Arrive on Saturday
- Sunday – Travel to remote village destination. The villages are approx 2 to 2.5 hours from Kathmandu. You will be accommodated at a host family in the village and provided with food and accommodation for the week. You’ll be escorted to the local bus station where you will then travel along the picturesque roads up through Banepa, Sipali to Mate where you can take part in an organised hike and then on to your destination
- Monday to Friday – Activities vary depending on the needs at the time. However, the main tasks are the following:
- Bringing down broken structures
- Building walls using cement, sand, stone, bricks etc
- Basic carpentry work
- Fencing the school premises
- Preparing mixture of cement, sand and water
- Shift rocks from one place to another
- Saturday and Sunday are free to explore the surrounding villages and local markets with your fellow volunteers***This schedule can be changed and/or amended depending on weather conditions, local conditions and unforeseen circumstances.***
Located approx 2.5 hours from Kathmandu, enjoy life in a home stay living with up to 12 other volunteers. Expect a 3-4 bedroom house. Here you will be made to feel like a local with much gratitude from the local villagers who were devastated by the Earthquake in 2014. You’ll share a room with max 3-4 other volunteers. The house is basic, but clean with bathrooms, a kitchen and dining room. Single rooms are available if booked in advance and at extra cost.
- TV, DVD’s, computers, Wifi… forget about it! Ditch the gadgets and live like a proper Nepalese local deep in the Himalayas
- ATM’s: There are not ATM”s. You must make sure to withdraw any cash from Kathmandu
- Personal SIM card for mobile devices must be purchased from Kathmandu
- Local markets are a 5 minute walk from the host family house
You will be provided with three meals a day on weekdays and two meals per day on weekends. The meals are a mix of Western and Nepalese food, consisting mainly of vegetarian dishes including rice and vegetables. You can expect to have a chicken dish about once per week. You can chose to eat out at any of the local restaurants.
It is the responsibility of all participants to obtain any necessary visas.