Australian Wildlife Sanctuary North Queensland
Home Stay Placement | Animal Care, Community Education
All year round
This organization has a large comprehensive display of Australian mammals, including other animals such as crocodiles, cockatoos and parrots. The sanctuary also houses five endangered species, of which are in breeding programs. A love for animals in a must and they all work closely together to ensure the well being of the animals in their care.
The Zoo is set in 5 hectares (10 acres) of tropical gardens and comprises several guest B&B style accommodation rooms (including a large pool) and some 120 species of Australian native birds, mammals and reptiles including crocodiles, kangaroos,
cassowaries, emus, dingos and wombats to name a few.
The Sanctuary is a brilliant day out from Port Douglas or Cairns for families, individuals and groups wanting to see, touch and photograph wildlife set within wetland reserves and purpose built aviaries with first class amenities.
Volunteers typically assist with daily feeding of animals and birds, cleaning enclosures, gardening, painting, light construction work and at times, assisting with the preparation of the accommodation rooms, building of new enclosures etc.
Hours of work are typically 7.30am to 1.00pm or 12.00pm to 5.00pm with a tea break. Every 2nd night 30mins for night feeding is also required.
- Poolside accommodation in clean and comfortable twin share or single room depending on time of year, fans provided.
- Access to the Pool and Zoo at your own leisure
- Use of a bicycle to get to Wonga Beach, local store etc
- Great food; all the fresh meat and vegetables that you can eat
- Free Wifi at the reception are
- That you are a genuine, honest and hard working person
- That you have a positive can-do attitude
- That you are willing to get your hands dirty, get wet when it rains etc.
- That you are comfortable around animals (no phobias of birds etc.)
- That you are fluent in English and can understand general directions
- That you have a sense of humour and don’t take things to heart (Important!)
- That you do not smoke
- That you do not have any special dietary requirements
Free pick you up and drop off from the Mossman bus depot is included. This means you’ll need to find your own way to Mossman. Bus transfers operate multiple times daily from Cairns which is the closest airport.
About the Animals
Just some of the wildlife you are likely to encounter while visiting Daintree Wild Zoo:
Eastern Grey Kangaroo
Pacific Black Duck
Plumed Whistling -Duck
Port Lincoln Ringneck
|Australian Wood Duck|
Nankeen Night Heron
Australian King Parrot
Pied Imperial Pigeon
Galah (2 sub-species)
Major Mitchell’s Cookatoo
It is the responsibility of all participants to obtain any necessary visas.