Cultural Introduction Week Fiji
Standard Placement | Volunteer Center shared rooms
1st & 3rd Monday of every month (Weekly in July)
Suva is the capital and after Nasinu, the largest city on Fiji. It is located on the southeast coast of the island of Viti Levu and is a harbor city built on a peninsula reaching out into the sea. It has a mix of modern buildings and traditional colonial architecture. It is the largest and the most cosmopolitan city in the South Pacific and has become an important regional center; students from the Pacific region and a growing expatriate community make up a significant portion of the city’s population. The nearest beach is 40 km away at Pacific Harbor and the nearby coast is lined by mangroves. A significant part of the city center, including the old Parliament buildings, is built on reclaimed mangrove swamp. Nausori Situated 19 kilometers out of Suva, on the east side of the Rewa River, you will find one of our locations in a small town called Nausori. It had a population of less than 50.000 people and makes it the fourth most populous region in the country.
The week includes language lessons, traditional culture introductions (incl Cava ceremony), visits to various sites and interesting attractions. It’s designed to give a thorough overview and to help you integrate into the local way of life while getting to know your fellow volunteers.
*Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner included daily
- Sunday – Arrival date. Arrival bus transfer from Nadi or Suva included (Nadi takes approx 3 hours)
- Monday – Introduction to Fiji tradition & Culture, Document collection, Project confirmation meeting. Suva City Tour (visit the Sacred Heart Cathedral church, Suva Port, Suva Cinema, Fish market, Fresh market, Swimming pool, Shopping center, Souvenir shop and Fiji Immigration Office)
- Tuesday – Weaving class, Visit My Suva Park, Fiji Sports Stadium and tour of Damodar City Center
- Wednesday – Fijian Language class, project placement meeting, traditional cooking class
- Thursday – Visit the Suva Museum and Colo-i-Suva Eco park. Swim at the waterfall and have a picnic lunch at the park. Traditional Welcome (Kava) ceremony
- Friday – Visit Placement and receive project overview
- Saturday – Free time
- Sunday – Free time
Accommodation is within a dedicated volunteer guest house with shared bedrooms with 3-6 persons per room and 1 bathroom per room with hot water and western style toilets and electric fans. Living with other volunteers in a dormitory-style house cab be heaps of fun and a great way to meet like minded travelers. The volunteer houses are in close proximity to a basic supermarkets, ATM, fresh fruit and vegetable stands, petrol stations and bus stop.
The houses can accommodate up to 20 volunteers at a time and you should expect to share a room other volunteers of the same gender. The accommodation is equipped with free Wi-Fi which volunteers are able to use. For couples or those wanting more privacy, private rooms in the volunteer house are available for an additional US$85 per week, subject to availability.
Vegetarian meals are served at the volunteer house 3 times per day during the week; breakfast and dinner only are served during the weekends. Bottled water is readily available in Fiji and volunteers should budget approximately US$4 per day. There is also filtered water available. If you have any special dietary requirements, please let us know when you apply for the program so we can make arrangements for you. You will be expected to clean up after yourself, and to play your part to keep the accommodation neat and tidy.
It is the responsibility of all participants to obtain any necessary visas upon arrival at the airport
- If you state ‘Volunteering’ as the main reason for your stay, a “14 day stay” will be stamped on your Passport. You’ll then need to apply for an extension and pay a fee. You’ll then need the following;
1. A supporting letter – our ground operators will provide.
2. A copy of return flight ticket- from the participant
3. 190 FJD extension fees- to be be paid by the participant.
- If you state ‘Holiday as the main purpose of your stay, you’ll be granted a 30 day visa at no cost.