Medical Hospital Internship Nepal
Speciality Placement | Volunteer Center shared rooms, hospital internship, medical students & graduates, doctors, nurses, specialists
Every Monday year round (Arrival Saturday or Sunday)
For those practising or aspiring to practice medicine, the hospital internship is an amazing experience which will help you appreciate the challenges faced in developing countries around medical care. As a Medical intern, you’ll shadow registered doctors and nurses and may take part in medical procedures dependant on skill levels. The majority of work will be observation based only within government, private, or community hospitals in Kathmandu and in around Kathmandu Valley.
There will not be any hands-on work unless you are very experienced. If not, then most of your learning will be through observation. Many options are available for volunteers depending on your skill level. You’ll spend the first couple days observing and being assessed for your experience level which will be discussed and agreed to with the head doctors or nurses in order to optimize your contribution to the hospital. Experienced participants can be delegated daily roles as nurses and doctors. See first hand treatments you may not have access to seeing in your home environment.
You will need prior knowledge & experience in the medical profession to apply.
Hospital internship schedule
Example day to day (breakfast lunch, dinner included daily)
- Monday-Friday – The schedule is highly flexible and depends on local needs and your skills. You can expect to accompany the doctor on his rounds every morning and be prepared to assist in various tasks based on your own level of experience. The Hospital Director will schedule your program when a resume and qualification certificates have been received.
- Weekends – are always free. Relax at the volunteer center or expand your sightseeing and visit the many more sites in Kathmandu.
For those seeking more privacy, there are accommodation upgrades available at an extra cost. (approx US$150 p/room p/week). This must be booked in advance and availability is limited.
Kathmandu accommodation includes;
- 3 Meals p/day weekdays, 2 Meals p/day weekends (mostly vegetarian cuisine)
- 4-6 persons p/room
- Wifi in public areas (Quality is not the best though. You may want to purchase a local SIM data plan)
- T.V, DVD player, computer
- Laundry facilities (at an additional fee)
- Lockable rooms
- Hot shower
- Private bathrooms
- Bed Linen (no towels)
- Mosquito protection
- Fans (no air-con)
You will be provided with three meals a day on weekdays and two meals per day on weekends. The meals are a mix of Western and Nepalese food, consisting mainly of vegetarian dishes including rice and vegetables. You can expect to have a chicken dish about once per week. You can chose to eat out at any of the local restaurants.
Weekends & Extra Tours
Shopping in Kathmandu is an experience all its own. Thamel, Kathmandu’s tourist hotspot, is where shoppers can find Nepalese, Tibetan and Indian artifacts, woodcarvings, handicraft and an assortments of unique clothing and apparel. There are also several malls where you can find fashionable clothing and grocery stores, offering everything from wine to breakfast cereals. There are numerous dining options available throughout the city, including Italian, Indian, Thai, Korean and Chinese in addition to a variety of local cuisine.
It is the responsibility of all participants to obtain any necessary visas.