Prepare for a 4 week adventure of travelling around beautiful Sri Lanka, visiting popular attractions, experiencing once in a lifetime experiences, admiring stunning views and discovering the local culture. We visit the highlights of the country and you even get to choose how you spend your time here!
The first week is mandatory and will introduce you to Sri Lankan culture, traditions, cuisine and local language. During your second and third weeks, you have the choice between a trekking week, a mind and body week, or the elephant experience program. During your fourth week, you have a choice between enjoying a beach week or a week working at our turtle conservation program in Ambalangoda.
Program Duration & Availability
Min duration (weeks):4
Max duration (weeks):4
Aims & Objectives
To immerse yourself in local Sri Lankan culture, through different projects and activities and learning about the local lifestyle. To explore the highlights of the country whilst volunteering in environmental projects.
- Welcome meeting, introduction to the projects and collection of documents
- Language Lesson followed by Lunch
- Lesson on the local culture, do’s and don’ts, etc
- Tour around Kandy City
- Cultural Dance Show
- Trip to spice and medicinal garden, tea factory, and the gem museum
- Boat ride at the Kandy Lake
- Sri Lankan cooking lesson, self-defence class and Buddhism (meditation) lesson
- Early morning visit to the Temple of the Tooth, visit to a batik factory and a wood carving factory
- Visit to a temple in a small forest and then a Hindu temple visit
- Indian lunch in the city and enjoy a soothing ayurvedic massage
Week 2 and Week 3
Monday to Friday
During weeks 2 and 3, you can choose between participating in the Trekking week, Elephant Experience or Body & Mind week.
If you choose trekking:
- Short introduction into the week’s activities.
- Climb up the popular Sigiriya Rock (Lion Rock) for a stunning panoramic view
- A three-temple loop through the scenic local villages to visit three historic temples (over 700 years old)
- Visit to the oldest tea plantation in Sri Lanka
- Hike to the Riverstone mountain
- Travel to the Ambuluwawa Hills for a trek to beautiful views,
- A trip to the Royal Botanical gardens.
If you choose Body and Mind:
- Early Morning Yoga on some of the days
- Varying massages
- Meditation – Walking meditation
- Lunch and a relaxed afternoon
If you choose Elephant Experience:
Volunteer at our elephant conservation project. Before the day visitors start pouring in, prepare for an early start to feed and bathe the elephants. Bath time is in the river is a fun experience both for you and the elephants! Join in with the mahouts, who are very friendly and will make sure you have the best experience.
Your work will vary during the afternoon. Sometimes, you will have the opportunity to help children with their studies or head out on an excursion.
The majority of activities you will be doing throughout the day will be:
- Feeding the elephants
- Cleaning the elephants
- Cleaning the elephant enclosures
Monday to Friday
This week you also have a choice between 2 activities. You can pick between the Beach week (and exploring the surrounds of Ambalangoda or you can volunteer at our turtle conservation project.
If you choose the beach week:
- Go on a River Safari, see Sri Lanka’s jungle flora and fauna up close and personal
- Relax at the beach or organize any activity you would like
- Explore Ambalangoda’s important temples, visit sleeping the Buddha statue
- Visit the pretty city of Galle, known for its old fort and stone walls
- Visit the Tsunami Museum and a natural silk factory.
- Visit to the Moonstone mine, where you will be shown how they cut and shape the precious stones
- Take a walk to a waterfall where you can relax and swim in the refreshing water (tea and snacks will be nearby)
If you choose turtle conservation week
Be a part of the Turtle Conservation project by working alongside other volunteers at the local turtle centre. You will be working from 9:30am, helping to feed and clean the turtles and the tanks. From 12:00 to 14:00pm you have a break and then work again from 14:00 until 15:30pm.
The activities may change according to the beach weather conditions at the time and due and to the number of volunteers. This project requires hard work and willingness to help with the cleaning of the turtles, tanks and the conservation centre. It is vital that these incredible animals have clean and hygienic living environments. Your typical daily activities will be:
- Feeding the turtles (every other day)
- Cleaning the tanks
- Cleaning the turtles
- Cleaning the beach
- Helping with the weekly release of over 100 baby hatchlings into the ocean (depending on season and the weather).
This program starts every week.
This program starts every week.
Participant Criteria & Requirements
Minimum English level: Basic
CRB required: On Signup
Passport copy required: On Signup
Resume copy required: No
Required qualification: None
- Volunteers below the age of 18 should have parental consent.
- Volunteers above the age of 65 should have medical clearance.
- Shoes suitable for hiking.
Focused mostly in the Central Sri Lankan hills region of Kandy, before journeying down to Amabalangoda on the South coast.
Accommodation & Food
About the Accommodation
You will be accommodated in one of our volunteer houses, which are located 2-4 km away from the centre of Kandy. There is a refrigerator for volunteers to use to store food and beverages. We provide accomodation once in Ambalangoda also.
Available Room Types
|All meals included||Yes *|
|Free beverages||Yes **|
|Persons per room||4-10|
|Wifi in public areas||No|
|Laundry facilities||Yes ***|
* Three meals per day during weekdays and two per day on weekends
** Water, tea, coffee and milk
*** At an additional fee
You will be provided with three meals a day on weekdays and two meals per day on weekends. The meals will be a mix of Western and Sri Lankan style food, including mainly vegetarian dishes of rice and vegetables. You can also eat out at any of the local restaurants.
The volunteer house is located 2 kilometres away from the Kandy city centre, where you can find anything you may need.
The closest ATM and supermarket to the accommodation are a 15-minute walk away. Once at Ambalangoda, you will stay in one of our volunteer houses there.
There are ATMs and small local stores along the route, but not at all time- Please ensure you have enough money with you before starting the trip.
Mandatory Orientation Day
At this location there is no mandatory orientation day offered.
Activities & Events
No scheduled activities outside the program.
From this location we do not provide free transport to other locations.