What is Hydroponic Gardening?
Hydroponic gardening can produce up to 9 times the amount of crops whilst using up to 85% less water!
This can be a huge game changer in developing communities, where water may be scarce, providing the comfort of food security and new sources of income.
Hydroponic gardens provide a low cost and sustainable way of producing food that is nutrient rich. The benefit of hydroponic versus soil based systems is profound, requiring up to 85% less water & producing up to 900% higher yields per square meter of space.
IVI volunteers can help in underprivilaged communities by helping to solve the following issues:
1) Lack of sufficient land for conventional farming
2) Lack of access to the water needed for conventional farming
3) Severe economic hardship & reliance on government funding to provide basic food requirements
4) Lack of access to fresh vegetables and lack of diet variation contributing to malnutrition, obesity and non-communicable disease.
5) Lack of purpose and community connection exacerbating social issues
Who can volunteer on our hydroponic gardening projects?
Anyone! Individuals with experience in gardening and/or hydroponic gardening are desired as well as volunteers with experience in public relations, business mentor ship and related micro-business related tasks. We also require general laborers who can assist in the many construction related tasks during the set-up and then gardeners to assist on-going. Once the gardens are set up they are easy to maintain and volunteers can help to pass on this information to the locals.